Case Study - Triathlon New Zealand
A customer since January 2009, Triathlon New Zealand went through a rigorous selection process looking at six potential vendors.
Carl Jackson, Commercial Director, talks
to us about why Triathlon New Zealand chose to partner with
Why were you looking for an alternative to your previous
We wanted a database system that could host members' data and
track information both internally and from members. We were
disengaging from our existing IT provider, which supplied us with a
website combined with a database.
The database wasn't ideal. It was cost prohibitive to make
small changes as the architecture was a shared infrastructure with
other sports - proprietary software. We also had issues with
the availability of our website and outages.
We contracted an IT professional who looked at our business
needs and wants. They then produced a robust Request for
Proposal (RFP) which identified what needed to be captured from a
member point of view to maximise communications between Tri NZ and
This process involved inviting 5 to 6 suppliers referred to us by
people in the IT and sports sectors to deliver in-depth
presentations and due diligence. These suppliers were then
Why did you choose MHA?
MHA was our preferred choice because:
- They are Auckland based.
- They talked in laymen's terms that we understood.
- They made us feel very comfortable that their Microsoft based
product would be easy for our non IT focussed staff to use.
Our team were already familiar with most Microsoft software.
- MHA offered a stand-alone hosted CRM solution, customisable to
- The fact that it was a Microsoft product was also a key
advantage as they are always bringing out new initiatives.
How is the solution MHA provided working now?
Even though still in early stages of development, early signs
- We no longer need to work with Excel spreadsheets of
data. The existing spreadsheets have been transferred into
- We can now identify subsets of people, ie: coaches, high
performance athletes and sponsors.
- Sending communications to groups of people is much simpler, and
we can track the communication flow which is excellent.
- Dramatic improvement in the availability of our website.
- CRM integrates with our Outlook which makes things easier, as
there is no need to open separate applications.
- We can now instantaneously view members of specific
- We have mailing lists.
- We can track communication between a Tri NZ Staff member and a
contact. Prior to MHA's solution I would have to have been
copied in on the email.
- With CRM our email communication can now target specific
groups. It gives us the ability to track the number of people
opening emails or the article click-through's. We can now see
which articles are being read more than others, which tells us what
our members are interested in.
- Our existing web forms are linked to update and export
information from CRM.
Any other comments about working with MHA?
We are not a stock standard organisation, ie: 9.00 am to 5.30
pm, selling xyz. We are unique and it was a challenge, as it
would have been for any IT company, to understand our business and
what we needed.
At the same time it was difficult for us to explain our
requirements. However the open and frank discussions
with MHA have been excellent to establish Tri NZ's
MHA worked tirelessly
to implement the solution. Any issues were responded to
quickly and resolution was fast. Communication with MHA is
excellent, we are always kept fully informed of progress, and they
are constantly educating us on how to better use and take advantage
of the system.
MHA are very customer focussed, and we have always felt that we
are a very valued customer. Overall it has been a very good
experience and we are an extremely satisfied customer.